Yes….this…is…awesome. Get your ice cream maker ready.
Ridiculous Chocolate Ice Cream
1-1/3 cups heavy cream
1-1/2 cups whole milk
1 vanilla bean
3/4 cup Dutch Process cocoa
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
8oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1. Combine cream and milk in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Cut the vanilla bean in half and split it lengthwise. Scrape the inside and put the “seeds” in the milk/cream as well as the pod. Heat until mixture almost boils, about 5 – 8 minutes. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, combine the sugar, cocoa, eggs, and egg yolk in a medium bowl and mix until thickened to the consistency of mayo. Measure out 1 cup of the hot milk/cream mixture and gradualy whisk it into the cocoa mix until it’s fully incorporated.
3. Stir the chopped bittersweet chocolate into the hot milk/cream mixture, stirring constantly to thoroughly. Then slowly add the cocoa mixture to the hot liquid, continuing to stir over low heat until it starts to resemble chocolate pudding.
4. Remove from heat and transfer to large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap so that the plastic is in direct contact w/ the mixture. Chill thoroughly until it’s at least down to 40F. This can be left to chill overnight.
For the Chocolate Chipotle Swirl
1 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
2-3 dried chipotles, toasted, and ground. Boil water in a medium sauce pan, add sugar. Stir until the sugar is completely disolved.
2. Reduce heat and slowly whisk in cocoa powder, trying to avoid any lumps to form.
3. Add ground chipotle to taste – the will set in after it sits for a while.
4. Add vanilla and cook for appxoximately another 3 to 5 minutes
5. Remove from heat and put in a container and allow to fully chill.
Bust out your ice cream maker:
Pour into freezing chamber of a Ice Cream/Sorbet Maker. Churn until thickened, about 20 – 30 minutes. Transfer to an air-tight container. Before putting this in the freezer, swirly in the chocolate chipotle by hand to avoid over-mixing. Use as much or as little as you want but do it quickly. Freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
SERVE! Throw some of that leftover chocolate chipotle stuff on top! Or, throw it in the microwave first for some warm fudgy deliciousness.
Chocolate Chipotle Swirl
Chocolate Ice Cream